LocationsLocationsSomerville,MA Mon - Thu: 9AM - 6PM - Fri: 9AM - 4PM (617) 591-2111 Mon - Thu: 9AM - 7PM | Fri: 9AM - 4PM | Sun: 12PM - 4PM (617) 591-2111
Come See Us! Our Location:
495 Medford St, Somerville, MA 02145
Professional solution for bookkeeping
taxes and tax preparation, payroll and accounting needs
Free Consultation
Pro Tax House > ITIN Number



An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a nine-digit number issued by the IRS to be used on a tax return.You need this number if you’re required to file a tax return and you don’t have or aren’t eligible to get a Social Security number (SSN). For example: If you’re a foreign national, regardless of your immigration status, you must apply to the IRS for an ITIN if you have a U.S. tax filing or reporting requirement. You will usually file an application for an ITIN with your first tax return, which you must file as a paper return, not electronically. There are some exceptions, when you may be able to apply for an ITIN without also submitting a tax return – generally, when you’re claiming the benefits of a tax treaty, or when third parties (like a bank or other financial institution) need your ITIN for their reporting.

All the exceptions are listed in the ITIN application instructions.

ITIN serves as your tax identification number for:

  • Filing your taxes
  • Receiving tax return from the IRS
  • Opening a U.S. bank account,

As an IRS Certifying Acceptance Agent, we’re trained and authorized by the IRS to assist foreign individuals who don’t qualify for a Social Security Number get their Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN).

Who Needs ITIN?
A non-citizen who has to file a federal tax return or a tax reporting document and does not qualify for an SSN should prepare an ITIN application to get the ITIN number.

ITIN is often given to individuals who have to pay U.S. taxes but are not eligible for a social security number.

IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for a SSN who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty needs an ITIN.

You must know how to get an ITIN number and should apply for an ITIN if:

  1. You do not have an SSN and are not eligible to obtain one, and
  2. You are a:
    1. Non-U.S. resident alien who is required to file a U.S. tax return
    2. U.S. resident alien who is filing a U.S. tax return
    3. Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
    4. Dependent or spouse of a non-U.S. resident alien visa holder

HEADACHE-FREE Accounting services that accelerate your business. Call us today! 

IRS problems?

If you’ve received a tax notice, IRS letter, audit notice, or other tax correspondence from the IRS, a state agency, or a local agency, it can be difficult to know what to do next.


Get A Quote